Monday, March 2, 2009

Moon Pies + Prarie Dogs = LOL


I've just finished Flight Of Passage. It was great but let me warn you: it is not for the faint of heart, it's full of strong language.

One of my favorite parts is when they feed the prairie dogs. While in Texas they discovered Moon Pies, so they bought a few. After flying a while they flew over hundreds of small holes. Kern's theory: old bomb sites from WWII. Rinker thought they must be oil drilling sights because the holes were too neatly aligned for bombs. They noticed a few creatures mulling around in the dirt. The boys had never seen prairie dogs before. As most curious teens or even boys in general would be inclined to do they threw a Moon Pie over the edge to see what would happen. Hundreds of prairie dogs appeared out of the holes. "The Texas prairie dog, I can report, definitely goes for Moon Pies. It was like a single bucket of slop thrown to fifty starving hogs" reported Rinker. After that they always carried around lots of Moon Pies, crackers, potato chips and other calorie filled "stuff " both for their enjoyment and also the small prairie dogs.

I've now started Charles Lindbergh's The Spirit of St. Louis (for those of you who may not know he was the first man to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.) It is great so far and I would recommend it. The book is also the winner of the Pulitzer Prize.

1 comment: